How do I safely dispose of old pesticides?

Pesticides (insecticides, herbicides, etc.) are considered hazardous wastes and, like paint, oil, batteries, etc., they require proper disposal. Several northern Nevada agencies help local residents to dispose of unwanted chemicals correctly:

  • Carson City’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility, 887-2355, can receive hazardous wastes from Carson City residents by appointment.
  • Douglas Disposal Hazardous Waste Facility, 782-5713, will assist Douglas county residents by appointment only.
  • Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDOA), 353-3715, will accept pesticides in original containers with labels attached.

For more information, read University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Carson City/Storey County Extension Educator JoAnne Skelly’s article “What to do with old pesticides?