This workshop provides growers and small processors with relevant information and strategies for developing and marketing valued-added products through direct and wholesale outlets. Workshop topics take a start to finish perspective, ranging from idea conceptualizing to business planning, ingredient testing and labeling, processing, and sales and marketing strategies. The workshop is taught by University Extension personnel, local growers, and industry representatives.
The workshop is jointly sponsored by the USDA-Risk Management Agency, University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, and the Utah State University Food Quality and Entrepreneurship Program.
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (pacific time)
Monday May 13, 2013 – Las Vegas, NV – UNCE Clark County, 8050 Paradise Road, Suite 100, Las Vegas, NV 89123-1904. Compressed video available from this location to Elko, Tonopah, and Caliente UNCE offices
Tuesday May 14, 2013 – Reno, NV – Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, 2500 East 2nd Street Reno, NV 89595 (Just north of the Reno airport)
Registration is $40 per person and includes breaks, lunch, and all program materials. Online registration may be completed at:
- Las Vegas: http://lasvegasfarmtofood.eventbrite.com
- Reno: http://renofarmtofoodproducts.eventbrite.com
For additional information or questions please contact Kynda Curtis at 435-797-0444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8:30 to 9 a.m.- Continental Breakfast
- 9 to 9:15 a.m.- Introductions and Welcome
- 9:15 to 10:15 a.m.- Product Development and Marketing
- 10:15 to 10:30 a.m.- Break
- 10:30 to 11:15 a.m.- Sourcing Ingredients and Packaging
- 11:15 a.m. to noon- Financial and Tax Considerations
- Noon to 12:45 p.m.- Lunch (provided)
- 12:45 to 1:45 p.m.- Food Safety Issues
- 1:45 to 2:45 p.m.- Food Labeling and Regulations
- 2:45 to 3 p.m.- Break
- 3 to 4 p.m.- New Product Test Marketing Strategies
- 4 to 5 p.m.- Business Planning and Resources