University of Nevada Cooperative Extension (UNCE) and The Carson City Historical Society invites you to the “Carson City Historical Society Garden Tour” held this Saturday, June 9th, 2012 from 1-4:30 p.m. Tour participants will have the opportunity to visit 10 private gardens and their gardeners and tour the new Greenhouse at Carson High School.
At 4:30 p.m., the tour will conclude at 214 W. King Street where we will enjoy a “Put the Garden Tour to Bed” talk and question and answer session by UNCE Carson City/Storey County Extension Educator JoAnne Skelly. At this time, tour participants will enjoy wine and refreshments. After the tour, artist demonstrations and the Mark Twain Garden Club established plant and other starts sale will commence at the Forman-Roberts House.
Although the official tour doesn’t begin until 1 p.m., garden enthusiasts are encouraged to make a day of it by participating in the following activities:
- Listen to the Impatient Gardener Radio Show (1270 the Buzz) at 8 a.m. as Garden Coach Marnie Brennan interviews UNCE Extension Educator JoAnne Skelly.
- Stroll the downtown Farmer’s Market (3rd & Curry Streets) to enjoy fresh and local foods for breakfast (8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.).
- Join Tom Henderson of Healthy Trees for a Tree Walk of our Capital Grounds from 10-11 a.m.
- Return to the downtown Farmer’s Market (3rd & Curry Streets) for a quick and delicious lunch (8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.).
- Drop by the Greenhouse Garden Center to purchase your garden tour ticket (2450 S. Curry St.). While you’re there, visit the “Ask a Master Gardener” information booth and enjoy the Customer Appreciation Day festivities (10 a.m. – 3 p.m.).
Carson City Historical Garden Tour tickets are only $10 per person and are available in advance at the Greenhouse Garden Center (2450 S. Curry St.) and Westwall Militaria (412 N. Curry St.). Day-of-event tickets will be sold at the Forman-Roberts House (1207 N. Carson) from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. For more information, contact Paula Cannon at775-887-8865, Mary DeFelice at 775-882-0916 or Jan Perry at 775-884-1448.
UNCE Master Gardener Volunteers who attend Saturday’s events are invited to submit photographs with captions and a review of their experiences for publication in the Master Gardener Newsletter. Garden tour attendance and article research and writing time all count towards the Master Gardener continuing education requirement.