General Gardening Information:
Free Extension Fact sheets are available online at extension.unr.edu/publications.aspx. Not all of our publications are online, however. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, or if you’d rather have a printed copy of an online publication, please call or drop by one of our offices. Our Master Gardener volunteers would be happy to provide you copies of our educational materials. Funds from the sell of books support local horticultural programming. Books for sale include: Spanish for the Green Industry and Water Efficient landscaping in the Intermountain West.
- University of Nevada, Reno: A land grant, four-year, research- and teaching-based university located in Reno, Nevada. University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is a college of UNR.
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension: Known as the college of UNR that puts university research to work, the Extension utilizes volunteers and over 200 employees in many subject areas (Agriculture; Children, Youth and Families; Community Development; Health and Nutrition; Horticulture; Natural Resources) to deliver non-degree, educational programming to our Nevada communities.
- Grow Your Own: Weekly Steps to a Great Vegetable Garden: This series of fifteen fact sheets written by Extension horticulture experts is designed to help Nevadans get their gardens off of the ground and producing tasty and healthy fruits and vegetables!
- NEMO Nevada: (Nonpoint Education for Municipal Officials) is a University of Nevada, Reno Extension educational program, presented yearly, geared towards equipping our land use decision-makers with the knowledge and skills to protect Nevada’s limited water resources.
- Living With Fire: LWF is a University of Nevada, Reno Extension program, provided in collaboration, which educates homeowners how to help their property survive wildfires. It provides information on what to do during and after a wildfire.
- Extension Green Industry Training Facebook Fan Page: Green Industry Training is a cost- and time-effective approach to serving the plant industries of northern Nevada. Through GIT, we provide a yearly series of entry-level classes to the industry. Become a Green Industry Training Facebook fan to keep current on issues facing the green industry and educational opportunities available to the industry.
- Carson River Video Contest Facebook Fan Page: Every year, NEMO Nevada hosts, in collaboration, a Carson River Video Contest and Film Festival. The contest is open to middle and high schoolers in the Carson River watershed. Become a fan of the Carson River Video Contest Facebook page to learn about the contest and view and vote on contest entries!
- Extension Master Gardener Facebook Fan Page: The Master Gardener Program is a University of Nevada, Reno Extension program which utilizes Extension-trained volunteers to provide accurate, research-based horticulture information to the public. Through the Master Gardner program, the Extension is able to offer gardening classes as well as soil testing, insect identification and plant identification and diagnostic services to the public. Become a fan of our Master Gardener Facebook page to hear all of the latest information on horticulture classes and volunteer opportunities.
- Washoe Evapotranspiration Project: The Washoe ET Project is a water and money-saving collaboration between the Extension and several other agencies. The website will tell users, based on the current weather conditions and sprinkler type, how long to water and for how many cycles. An online sprinkler runtime calculator is provided.
- eXtension.org: Provides credible, research-based information on nearly any subject. It is provided by the network of all Cooperative Extension offices country-wide.
- Purchase USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning. The Extension Nutrition and Horticulture departments have combined forces to provide you a local source from which to purchase copies of the USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning. The full-color books are spiral-bound for easy use in the kitchen. The book includes five guides: Guide 1: Principles of Home Canning, Guide 2: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products, Guide 3: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products, Guide 4: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Vegetables and Vegetable Products and Guide 5: Preparing and Canning Poultry, Red Meats and Seafoods. The cost for this excellent resource is $15.00 for pick up and $20.00 to have it mailed to you.
Free Extension Fact sheets are available online. Not all of our publications are online, however. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, or if you’d rather have a printed copy of an online publication, please call or drop by one of our offices.
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Nutrition Specialist Mary Wilson has released a series of short videos which will help us all be smart about what we eat. To learn more about the “Eat Healthy, Be Active” program, check out this Extension news article!
Spring 2020 Grow Your Own, Nevada! Presentation Slides:
- Raised Bed Gardening
- Gardening in Nevada Soils
- Irrigating & Fertilizing Your Vegetable Garden
- Native Pollinators and Beneficial Insects
- Growing in a Hoophouse or Shade House
- Growing Herbs and Edible Flowers
- Backyard Livestock
- Identification & Control of Vegetable Garden Insect Pests
- Soil Texture by Feel Flowchart
- Fertilizing Your Vegetable Garden
- Irrigating Your Vegetable Garden
- Border flowers for beneficials
- Backyard Livestock Resources
- Constructing a Hoop House in New Mexico