Click headings with a double arrow next to them to expand that section and view more information!
General Gardening Information:
[EXPAND University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Horticulture Publications] Free UNCE Fact sheets are available online at www.unce.unr.edu/publications. Not all of our publications are online, however. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, or if you’d rather have a printed copy of an online publication, please call or drop by one of our offices. Our Master Gardener volunteers would be happy to provide you copies of our educational materials. Funds from the sell of books support local horticultural programming. Books for sale include: Spanish for the Green Industry and Water Efficient landscaping in the Intermountain West.[/EXPAND]
[EXPAND University and Extension links]
- University of Nevada, Reno: A land grant, four-year, research- and teaching-based university located in Reno, Nevada. University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is a college of UNR.
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension: Known as the college of UNR that puts university research to work, UNCE utilizes volunteers and over 200 employees in many subject areas (Agriculture; Children, Youth and Families; Community Development; Health and Nutrition; Horticulture; Natural Resources) to deliver non-degree, educational programming to our Nevada communities.
- Grow Your Own: Weekly Steps to a Great Vegetable Garden: This series of fifteen fact sheets written by UNCE horticulture experts is designed to help Nevadans get their gardens off of the ground and producing tasty and healthy fruits and vegetables!
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Spider and Insect Gallery:
- NEMO Nevada: (Nonpoint Education for Municipal Officials) is a UNCE educational program, presented yearly, geared towards equipping our land use decision-makers with the knowledge and skills to protect Nevada’s limited water resources.
- Living With Fire: LWF is a UNCE program, provided in collaboration, which educates homeowners how to help their property survive wildfires. It provides information on what to do during and after a wildfire.
- UNCE Green Industry Training Facebook Fan Page: Green Industry Training is a cost- and time-effective approach to serving the plant industries of northern Nevada. Through GIT, we provide a yearly series of entry-level classes to the industry. Become a Green Industry Training Facebook fan to keep current on issues facing the green industry and educational opportunities available to the industry.
- Carson River Video Contest Facebook Fan Page: Every year, NEMO Nevada hosts, in collaboration, a Carson River Video Contest and Film Festival. The contest is open to middle and high schoolers in the Carson River watershed. Become a fan of the Carson River Video Contest Facebook page to learn about the contest and view and vote on contest entries!
- UNCE Master Gardener Facebook Fan Page: The Master Gardener Program is a UNCE program which utilizes UNCE-trained volunteers to provide accurate, research-based horticulture information to the public. Through the Master Gardner program, UNCE is able to offer gardening classes as well as soil testing, insect identification and plant identification and diagnostic services to the public. Become a fan of our Master Gardener Facebook page to hear all of the latest information on horticulture classes and volunteer opportunities.
- Washoe Evapotranspiration Project: The Washoe ET Project is a water and money-saving collaboration between UNCE and several other agencies. The website will tell users, based on the current weather conditions and sprinkler type, how long to water and for how many cycles. An online sprinkler runtime calculator is provided.
- eXtension.org: Provides credible, research-based information on nearly any subject. It is provided by the network of all Cooperative Extension offices country-wide. [/EXPAND]
School Garden Resources:
- Schoolyard Habitat Program: This U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service program helps teachers and their students to create outdoor classrooms in the form of wildlife habitats! The Schoolyard Habitat Program provides technical assistance, project guidance, training for teachers/school volunteers and written materials. Project examples include: wetlands, meadows, forests, etc.
Multimedia Gardening Goodies:
[EXPAND UNCE- Produced Materials]
- Western Area Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch gives a short video presentation on the basics of seed saving:
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension’s Horticulture Assistant Penny Leyer demonstrates making paper seed pots:
[EXPAND Non-UNCE Materials]
- Impatient Gardener Radio Show Archive: The Impatient Gardener Radio show is the only interactive garden talk show serving Reno and its surrounding areas! The host is Marnie “The Garden Coach” Brennan and the show is sponsored by Garden Shop Nursery. This link brings you to the archives for the radio show. You can also listen live at 8 a.m. on Saturday mornings on Fox news 1270am.
- Moana Nursery has posted a “Helpful Video … Turning Your Irrigation System On & Off – – Early Spring & Late Fall.”
- Our Northern Area Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch happened upon locavoremovie.com. Below is the trailer for the movie Locavore.
Locavore Local Diet healthy Planet (Movie Trailer) from Jay Canode on Vimeo. [/EXPAND]
[EXPAND Northern Nevada Green Industry Map] This is an interactive map of various green industry organizations in northern Nevada, from landscapers to nurseries to professional organizations. This map is incomplete. If you have an organization you’d like to see added to this list, please contact Ashley Andrews and firstname.lastname@example.org. Inclusion on this list map is not an endorsement by UNCE. Before hiring any tree care or landscape service, please do your own research by checking with the Better Business Bureau, the International Society of Arboriculture, review sites such as Yelp.com, asking friends and family for recommendations, etc. We have publications in our office which advise customers how to select tree care companies. For more information, send me an email at email@example.com. [/EXPAND]
Vegetable Gardening Resources:
[EXPAND UNCE-Produced Resources]
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Horticulture Publications: Free UNCE Fact sheets are available online at www.unce.unr.edu/publications. Not all of our publications are online, however. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, or if you’d rather have a printed copy of an online publication, please call or drop by one of our offices. Our Master Gardener volunteers would be happy to provide you copies of our educational materials. Funds from the sell of books support local horticultural programming. Books for sale include: Spanish for the Green Industry and Water Efficient landscaping in the Intermountain West. [/EXPAND]
[EXPAND Non-UNCE Resources]
- Mother Earth News Directory of Companies Offering Mail-order Seeds and Plants: Visit this link to search through the Mother Earth News database of companies who offer mail-order seeds and plants. With many search options in the database’s drop-down menus, gardeners are sure to find what they need! Companies can add their information to the directory if they are not currently listed.
- Cover Cropping for Vegetable Production: This University of California, Davis book discusses botany and species selection, agricultural soil ecology, water management and impacts on water quality, soil nitrogen fertility management, weeds, soilborne pathogens, plant and soil nematodes, arthropods, cover crop management, regional differences in cover crop management and economics.
- Organic Vegetable Production Manual: Another University of California, Davis resource, this bok focuses on information suitable for the organic vegetable grower. The chapters cover business and marketing plans, economic performance, soil fertility management, managing diseases, weed management, postharvest handling and organic certification and registration in California. [/EXPAND]
[EXPAND UNCE-Produced Resources]
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Growing and Preservng Food in Northern Nevada brochure.
- USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning flyer and order form. UNCE Nutrition and Horticulture departments have combined forces to provide you a local source from which to purchase copies of the USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning. The full-color books are spiral-bound for easy use in the kitchen. The book includes five guides: Guide 1: Principles of Home Canning, Guide 2: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products, Guide 3: Selectng, Preparing and Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products, Guide 4: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Vegetables and Vegetable Products andGuide 5: Preparing and Canning Poultry, Red Meats and Seafoods. The cost for this excellent resource is $15.00. [/EXPAND]
[EXPAND Non-UNCE Materials]
- The National Center for Home Food Preservation, your source for current research-based information on home food preservation, has announced an online self-study canning course! This is a great resource for those of us who don’t have a Master Canner or Master Food Preserver program in our area. It is self-paced and FREE! The course is offered via University of Georgia eLC System and requires a login to view the material. To secure a login and begin learning to preserve food at home, visit the NCHP site. [/EXPAND]
[EXPAND University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Nutrition Publications] Free UNCE Fact sheets are available online at www.unce.unr.edu/publications. Not all of our publications are online, however. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, or if you’d rather have a printed copy of an online publication, please call or drop by one of our offices.[/EXPAND]
[EXPAND UNCE “Eat Healthy, Be Active” Videos] University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Nutrition Specialist Mary Wilson has released a series of short videos which will help us all be smart about what we eat. Using Mary’s techniques, we will all be able to prepare our meals quicker and eat cheaper and smarter. The tips she presents in her videos are meant for a general audience, but can be adapted for use in a locavore and grow-your-own friendly kitchen.To learn more about the “Eat Healthy, Be Active” program, check out this UNCE news article!
Watch the Serving Size:
- Cooking beef to lower fat
- Quick, easy and healthy tortilla chips
- Healthy cereals might mean smaller portions
- Fun with tacos
- Cereal servings in different bowls