The Home Horticulture Certificate is a new pilot program through University of Nevada, Reno Extension’s Washoe County Master Gardener Program. This program includes the science-based classes but does not require any hands-on volunteer service.
It is a voluntary educational program best suited for those interested in in-depth horticultural science content, and the entry point for those who would like to become a Washoe County Master Gardener Volunteer. The Home Horticulture Certificate may be right for you if you are:
- Are new to Northern Nevada and want to learn more about the science of gardening
- Interested in expanding your own gardening knowledge and applying it to your own projects and/or
- Don’t have time for or any interest in volunteering
The program starts August 18, 2020 and ends September 15, 2020.
The training is comprised of 9* online Zoom sessions, which includes:
- 4 Tuesday afternoon lectures (1:00 pm to 4:00 pm)
- 4 Thursday afternoon lectures (1:00 pm to 4:00 pm)
- 1 Tuesday afternoon exam (1:00 pm to 4:00 pm)
Earning a Certificate
To earn a Home Horticulture Certificate, all participants must:
- Complete all classes
- Have a passing score on post-class test
- Have self-motivation and a desire to learn and be challenged
Fee: $135 (includes course materials, PowerPoint handouts, technology fees, and activity supplies).
Fees can be paid by check or credit card (+ credit card processing fees)
**We do not offer individual class pricing.**