Did You Know…?
- The average carrot travels over 1800 miles to get to your dinner plate.
- About 93% of your food dollar travels pays processors, packagers, distributors, wholesalers, truckers and the rest of the infrastructure that a global food system demands.
- An American Gardening Association survey showed a 19 percent increase in hobby country farms and urban edible gardens from 2008 to 2009.
- Gardening for 45 minutes burns as many calories as 30 minutes of aerobic exercise.
- A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that preschool children served homegrown produce were more than twice as likely to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day than kids who rarely ate homegrown produce.