Learn the secrets of high desert gardening
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6-8 p.m.
April 3 – April 26
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering eight “Grow Your Own, Nevada!” classes statewide to help Nevadans who want to get on a path to more sustainable, local, healthy living by growing and preserving more of their own food.
“Anyone can become a better gardener by attending these classes,” Cooperative Extension Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch said. “From the beginner to the advanced gardener, everyone can benefit from a Grow Your Own, Nevada! class.”
The workshops will provide gardeners and those interested in growing healthy foods with a “back-to-the-basics” guide to great harvests in Nevada.
Program Schedule: (topics to be announced)
- 4/3- Selecting and Caring for Fruit Trees, Michael Janik
- 4/5- Gardening in Nevada Soils and Composting Basics, Melody Hefner
- 4/10- Vegetable Garden Pollinators & Other Beneficial Insects, Joy Newton
- 4/12- Identifying and Controlling Common Garden Weeds, Melody Hefner
- 4/17- Critter and Insect Pests of the Garden and Landscape, Wendy Hanson Mazet
- 4/19- Raised Beds 101, Wendy Hanson Mazet
- 4/24- Greenhouse/Hoop House Part 1:Designing and Building, Heidi Kratsch
- 4/26- Greenhouse/Hoop House Part 2: How to Grow Vegetable Crops, Heidi Kratsch
Classes are held live in Reno and via interactive video to Cooperative Extension offices statewide.
- *Battle Mountain: 815 N. 2nd St., 775-635-5565
- *Caliente: 360 Lincoln St., 775-726-3109
- ^Carson City: 2621 Northgate Ln., Ste. 15, 775-887-2252
- *Elko: 701 Walnut St., 775-738-7291
- *Ely: 950 Campton St., 775-293-6599
- *Eureka: 701 S. Main St., 775-237-5326
- ^Fallon: 111 Sheckler Rd., 775-423-5121
- *Gardnerville: 1325 Waterloo Ln., 775-782-9960
- *Hawthorne: 314 5th St., 775-945-3444
- *Logandale: 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., 702-397-2604
- *Lovelock: 810 6th St., 775-273-2923
- ^Pahrump: 1651 E. Calvada Blvd., 775-727-5532
- *Reno: 4955 Energy Way, 775-784-4848
- ^Tonopah: #1 Frankie St. Old Courthouse, 775-482-6794
- *Winnemucca: 1085 Fairgrounds Rd., 775-623-6304
- *Yerington: 504 S. Main Street, 775-463-6541
*Site confirmed. ^Site requested.
In Reno, the registration cost is $15 per class or $60 for all eight classes, and participants can register online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/spring-2018-grow-your-own-nevada-registration-42440913916
Reduced registration is available for Washoe County K-12 teachers and Washoe County Master Gardener Volunteers attending in Reno. Teachers: email a copy of your school ID to Melody Hefner at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your promotional code. Master Gardeners: see the home page news section of the volunteer management system to receive your promotional code.
To participate in the program at another location, contact that site directly.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance must call or notify Melody Hefner at 775-336-0247 or email@example.com at least three days prior to the scheduled class.