University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering eight “Grow Your Own, Nevada!” classes in spring and four classes in fall statewide to help Nevadans who want to get on a path to more sustainable, local, healthy living by growing and preserving more of their own food.
“Anyone can become a better gardener by attending these classes,” Cooperative Extension Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch said. “From the beginner to the advanced gardener, everyone can benefit from a Grow Your Own, Nevada! class.”
The workshops will provide gardeners and those interested in growing healthy foods with a “back-to-the-basics” guide to great harvests in Nevada.
Fall Program Class Topics:
- Sept. 11: Saving Seeds from Your Garden by Heidi Kratsch
- Sept. 18: Amending Your Soil: Composting and Fertilizer Basics by Melody Hefner
- Sept. 25: Cover Crops for the Home Gardener by Heidi Kratsch
- Oct. 2: Tips on Selecting Fruit Tree and Berry Varieties by Wendy Hanson Mazet
Spring 2019 Program Class Topics (TBD)
Spring 2019 Program Locations (TBD):
Classes are held live in Reno and via interactive video to Cooperative Extension offices statewide.
- Battle Mountain: 815 N. 2nd St., 775-635-5565
- Carson: 2621 Northgate Ln # 15, 775-887-2252
- Caliente: 360 Lincoln St., 775-726-3109
- Elko: 701 Walnut St., 775-738-7291
- Ely: 950 Campton St., 775-293-6599
- Eureka: 701 S. Main St., 775-237-5326
- Fallon: 111 Sheckler Rd., 775-423-5121
- Hawthorne: 314 5th St., 775-945-3444
- Logandale: 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., 702-397-2604
- Lovelock: 810 6th St., 775-273-2923
- *Reno: 4955 Energy Way, 775-784-4848
- Winnemucca: 1085 Fairgrounds Rd., 775-623-6304
- Yerington: 504 S. Main Street, 775-463-6541
*Site confirmed. ^Site requested.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance must call or notify Jenn Fisher at 775-336-0249 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least three days prior to the scheduled class.