**Please note that University policy limits in-person capacity to 16 students at this time. We would love to see you in our online class if we are sold out. We apologize for any inconvenience.**
2021 Class Dates
Tuesdays and Thursdays, February 2nd – February 25th from 9:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Monday March 1st, 2021
2021 Class Topics
- February 2nd, 2021: Soils and Water Management*+, Heidi Kratsch, University of Nevada, Reno ExtensionFebruary 4th, 2021: Pruning Landscape Plants*, Leslie Lyles, Stewardship HorticulturalFebruary 9th, 2021: Noxious Weeds and Weed Law^, Andrea Moe, Nevada Department of AgricultureFebruary 11th, 2021: Insect Identification^, Jeff Knight, Nevada Department of AgricultureFebruary 16th, 2021: Sustainable Turfgrass Management*^+, Wendy Hanson Mazet, University of Nevada, Reno ExtensionFebruary 18th, 2021: Plant Disease Basics*^, Shouhua Wang, Nevada Department of AgricultureFebruary 23rd, 2021: Garden Center Basics*^+, Wendy Hanson Mazet, University of Nevada, Reno ExtensionFebruary 25th, 2021: IPM and Pesticide Safety*^, Melody Hefner, University of Nevada, Reno ExtensionMarch 1st, 2021: Certification Exam*ISA CEU’s have been requested for this class^Pesticide Applicator CEU’s have been requested for this class+QWEL CEU’s are available for this class
What is Green Industry Training?
A workforce development program, Green Industry Training is a series of entry-level classes in topics important to the Green Industry followed by an exam to become Nursery Worker Certified. Many local garden centers and landscape companies value this certification for their entry-level employees. The classes give participants a solid, science-based foundation to enter the Green Industry with knowledge to build upon. Continuing education classes are offered throughout the year as well.
Classes are taught by Extension faculty and staff, Nevada Department of Agriculture staff and local industry professionals. They are delivered remotely via Zoom, in-person at the Washoe County Extension office in Reno at 4955 Energy Way, and are video-conferenced to participating sites across the state of Nevada.
Reno single participants:
- Enroll in individual classes: $15 per class
- Enroll in full course (including optional exam): $80
Companies: Receive a discount for registering more than one employee!
- Enroll 2-5 employees: $75 for full course fee per student.
- Enroll 6+ employees: $70 for full course fee per student.
Full course fees include course materials (two books), certificates of attendance, a mailed certification packet with Certification swag, laminated business card and certificate of completion, refreshments if in-person, and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and/or Pesticide Safety Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Course fees also support Green Industry Continuing Education Series classes, which are held year-round as needed.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance at the Reno site must call or notify Chad Morris at 775-336-0249 or email@example.com at least three days prior to the scheduled class