Cost- and Time-Efficient Education
A workforce development program, Green Industry Training is a series of entry-level classes in topics important to the green industry followed by an exam to become Nursery Worker Certified. Many local garden centers and landscape companies require this certification for their entry-level employees because the classes give participants a solid, science-based foundation to enter the green industry with knowledge to build upon. Continuing education classes are offered throughout the year as well.
Classes are taught by Cooperative Extension, Nevada Department of Agriculture staff and local industry professionals, and are held at the Washoe County Cooperative Extension office in Reno, 4955 Energy Way and are video-conferenced to the Carson/Storey County Cooperative Extension office. To attend in Carson City , please visit the local office at 2621 Northgate Lane, Suite 12 or call 775-887-2252.
Reno participants can enroll in individual classes at a cost of $15 per class, or they can enroll in the entire course for a discounted cost of $80.
Companies enrolling 2-5 employees for the full course receive $10 off per student. The discount increases to $15 off per student when 6+ employees from the company are registered. Fees include course materials, certificates of attendance, refreshments and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and Pesticide Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Course fees also support Green Industry Continuing Education Series classes, which are held year-round as needed.
To see who certified in previous years, visit the archives.
Register for our interest list to be the first to know about upcoming classes!
2019 Class Schedule
- Jan. 29: Plant Disease Basics*^ Shouhua Wang, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Jan. 31: Noxious Weeds & Weed Law^ with Andrea Moe, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 5: Soils, Potting Mixes & Fertilizers* Heidi Kratsch, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 7: Pruning Landscape Plants* Leslie Lyles, Stewardship Horticultural
- Feb. 12: Insect Identification*^ Jeff Knight, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 14: Sustainable Turfgrass Management*^ Wendy Hanson Mazet, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 19: IPM Basics & Pesticide Safety*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 21: Applying IPM Principles*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 26: Green Industry Training Exam (optional)
* ISA CEUs have been requested for this class.
^ Pesticide Applicator CEUs have been requested for this class.