**Please note that the Spring 2022 Green Industry Training will be available both virtually and in-person**
2022 Class Dates
Tuesdays and Thursdays
February 1st – February 24th
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 P.m.
Monday February 28th, 2022
2022 Class Topics
Tuesday, February 1st: Pruning Landscape Plants*, Leslie Lyles, Stewardship Horticultural
Thursday, February 3rd: Soils and Water Management*+, Heidi Kratsch, University of Nevada, Reno Extension
- Tuesday, February 8th: Noxious Weeds and Weed Law^, Andrea Moe, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Thursday, February 10th: Plant Disease Basics*^, Shouhua Wang, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Tuesday, February 15th: Sustainable Turfgrass Management*^+, Wendy Hanson Mazet, University of Nevada, Reno Extension
Thursday, February 17th: Insect Identification*^, Jeff Knight, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Tuesday, February 22nd: Garden Center Basics+, Wendy Hanson Mazet, University of Nevada, Reno Extension
- Thursday, February 24th: IPM and Pesticide Safety*^, Melody Hefner, University of Nevada, Reno Extension
*ISA CEU’s have been requested for this class
^Pesticide Applicator CEU’s have been requested for this class
+QWEL CEU’s are available for this class
What is Green Industry Training?
A workforce development program, Green Industry Training is a series of entry-level classes in topics important to the Green Industry followed by an exam to become Nursery Worker Certified. Many local garden centers and landscape companies value this certification for their entry-level employees. The classes give participants a solid, science-based foundation to enter the Green Industry with knowledge to build upon. Continuing education classes are offered throughout the year as well.
Classes are taught by Extension faculty and staff, Nevada Department of Agriculture staff, and local industry professionals. They are delivered remotely via Zoom for the 2021 session. When available it is also delivered in-person at the Washoe County Extension office in Reno at 4955 Energy Way, and video-conferenced to participating sites across the state of Nevada.
Reno single participants:
- Enroll in individual classes: $15 per class
- Enroll in full course (including optional exam): $80
Companies: Receive a discount for registering more than one employee!
- Enroll 2-5 employees: $70 for full course fee per student.
- Enroll 6+ employees: $65 for full course fee per student.
Full course fees include course materials, certificates of attendance, a mailed certification packet, laminated business card and certificate of completion, and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), Qualified Water Efficient Landscaper, and/or Pesticide Safety Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Course fees also support Green Industry Continuing Education Series classes, which are held year-round as needed.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance at the Reno site must call or notify Chad Morris at 775-336-0249 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least three days prior to the scheduled class