Cost- and Time-Efficient Education
A workforce development program, Green Industry Training is a series of entry-level classes in topics important to the green industry followed by an exam to become Nursery Worker Certified. Many local garden centers and landscape companies require this certification for their entry-level employees because the classes give participants a solid, science-based foundation to enter the green industry with knowledge to build upon. Continuing education classes are offered throughout the year as well.
Classes are taught by Cooperative Extension, Nevada Department of Agriculture staff and local industry professionals, and are held at the Washoe County Cooperative Extension office in Reno, 4955 Energy Way and are video-conferenced to participating sites across the state of Nevada.
Register for our interest list to be in the know about upcoming classes!
Reno single participants:
- Enroll in individual classes: $15 per class
- Enroll in full course (including optional exam): $95
Companies: Receive a discount for registering more than one employee!
- Enroll 2-5 employees: $85 for full course fee per student.
- Enroll 6+ employees: $80 for full course fee per student.
Full course fees include course materials (two books, class PowerPoint presentations on a flash drive), certificates of attendance, a mailed certification packet with Nursery Worker pin, laminated business card and certificate of completion, refreshments, other swag items and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Course fees also support Green Industry Continuing Education Series classes, which are held year-round as needed.
To see who certified in previous years, visit the archives.
2020 Class Topics (Order of classes may change)
- Jan. 28: Plant Disease Basics*^ Shouhua Wang, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Jan. 30: Insect Identification*^ Jeff Knight, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 4: Pruning Landscape Plants* Leslie Lyles, Stewardship Horticultural
- Feb. 6: Understanding Soils and Fertilizers* Heidi Kratsch, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 11: Landscape Water Management* Jenn Fisher, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 13: Garden Center Basics^ Heidi Kratsch, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 18: Noxious Weeds & Weed Law^ with Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 20: Sustainable Turfgrass Management*^ Wendy Hanson Mazet, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 25: IPM Basics & Pesticide Safety*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Mar. 3: Applying IPM Principles*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Mar. 5: Green Industry Training Exam (optional)
* ISA CEUs have been requested for this class.
^ Pesticide Applicator CEUs have been requested for this class.