University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Carson City/Storey County Extension Educator JoAnne Skelly offers the following tips, taken from her article “Growing Orchids,” to new orchid growers:
- Phalaenopsis is a good first-time orchid for novice orchid growers.
- This orchid should receive moderate indirect light and should be placed away from dry drafts.
- Acceptable temperatures for the phalaenopsis range from 56-95 degrees Farenheit.
- The watering schedule for this orchid depends on the season:
- In the summer, water 2-3 times per week.
- In the winter, water 1-2 times per week.
- If the phalaenopsis is planted in moss, the recommended watering schedule is every 7-10 days.
- Skelly recommends watering this orchid from the bottom.
- During the growing season, remember to fertilize the phalaenopsis every other watering.