The northern area Horticulture department offers a variety of gardening and landscaping classes and events from classes for the home gardener about growing edibles to classes designed to continue the education of the commercial nursery worker or landscaper. Check out and sign up for our classes below.
2019 Green Industry Training
January 31 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm$80.00
Cost- and Time-Efficient Education
Green Industry Training is a series of entry-level classes in topics important to the green industry. Participants can enroll in individual classes at a cost of $15 per class, or they can enroll in the entire course for a discounted cost of $80.
Companies enrolling 2-5 employees for the full course receive $10 off per student. The discount increases to $15 off per student when 6+ employees from the company are registered.
Fees include course materials, certificates of attendance, refreshments and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and Pesticide Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Course fees also support Green Industry Continuing Education Series classes, which are held year-round as needed.
Classes are taught by Cooperative Extension, Nevada Department of Agriculture staff and local industry professionals, and are held at the Cooperative Extension office in Reno, 4955 Energy Way, just off Rock Boulevard.
2019 Class Schedule
All classes are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Jan. 29: Plant Disease Basics*^ Shouhua Wang, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Jan. 31: Noxious Weeds & Weed Law^ with Andrea Moe, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 5: Soils, Potting Mixes & Fertilizers* Heidi Kratsch, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 7: Pruning Landscape Plants* Leslie Lyles, Stewardship Horticultural
- Feb. 12: Insect Identification*^ Jeff Knight, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Feb. 14: Sustainable Turfgrass Management*^ Wendy Hanson Mazet, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 19: IPM Basics & Pesticide Safety*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 21: Applying IPM Principles*^ Melody Hefner, Cooperative Extension
- Feb. 26: Green Industry Training Exam (optional)
* ISA CEUs have been requested for this class.
^ Pesticide Applicator CEUs have been requested for this class.
Thank you for your interest in our classes and events. We hope you found what you needed, but if you didn’t, please contact Jenn Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-336-0249, and she will be happy to assist you.